Items & Item Management in NeatSave various item types in Neat. In addition to Receipts, Contacts, and Documents, Neat also recognizes Invoices, Bills, Recipes, Statements, Checks, and Mileage.
Item Management FAQs
- How do I create a new item?
- How do I delete an item?
- How do I move an item?
- How do I edit an item?
- How do I filter my items?
- How do I sort my items?
- How do I combine or separate items?
- How do I reprocess and reclassify my items?
- How do move items out of the Needs Review grid?
- How do I create a new folder?
- What is the All Files folder?
How do I create a new item?There are many ways to create new items in Neat:
- Email items directly to Neat.
- Capture and upload items via your Neat Mobile App.
- Import items directly to Neat.
- Scan items to Neat using the Desktop Scan Utility.
- Click Create. Create can be located to the top right corner of the Neat.
- Select Files.
- Then select the type of item you want to create from the list provided.
- A blank record will open. Enter all the information you want included in your new item and select the folder you want the item to be saved in. By default, the item will be saved under the Unfiled folder in the Organize My Files section on the left, if you do not select a folder.
- Select Save from the bottom left corner of the window.
- The newly created item will be created in the folder you selected and a green Item Created window will pop up.
How do I delete an item?There are many ways to delete an item in Neat.
Option 1 – Drag & Drop
- Select the item(s) you want to delete and drag them to the trash can.
- Once hovering over the trash can, release your mouse.
Option 2 – Delete Item(s) from the Grid
- Put a check mark in front of the item(s) you want to delete, then click the trash button under the grid to the bottom left.
Option 3 – Delete from Item Edit View
- Double click on an item you want to delete to open the item editor.
- Click the trash button to the bottom left corner of the editor.
How do I move an item?Neat makes it easy to move items from one folder location to another, helping you keep your information as organized as possible.
Option 1 – Drag & Drop
- Select the item(s) you want to move and drag them to the folder you want to move them to.
- Once hovering over the folder, release your mouse.
Option 2 – Move from Item Edit View
- Double click on an item you want to move to open the item editor.
- Under the Folder drop down, browse your cabinet and select the folder you want to move the item to.
- Select Save from the bottom left hand corner of the editor
Option 3 – Right-click and Move
- Right click on an item you want to move.
- Select Move from the window.
- In the Move Item window, click the drop down, browse your cabinet and select the folder you want to move the item to.
- Select Move when finished.
How do I edit an item?
- Double-click on an item you would like to edit to open the item editor.
- Scroll through the various fields and categories and make changes as you need to.
- Once you are done editing your item, select Save from the bottom left hand corner of the editor
How do I filter my items?You can filter through your items to locate items easily in your database.
- Open your File Cabinet, Needs Review section, shared folder, or trash from the menu to the left.
- At the top of the new window, underneath Folders, you will see a box labeled Item Type.
- When you click on the dropdown arrow within the box labeled item type, you will see multiple options appear. Here, you can select multiple item types to filter just the specific item types you are looking for.
Please Note: The Item Type dropdown is only available in File Cabinet, the Needs Review section, in a shared folder, or the trash.
- To filter your items further, click on the Filters dropdown located next to the Item Type filter.
- From the dropdown, select 1 or multiple filters.
Please Note: The filters that are available in the drop down are determined by the item type you selected in step 3. For example, Bills can be filtered by bill date, bill type, etc. where receipts can be filtered by other categories like receipt date, vendor, etc.
- If you select a filter that has saved list items, for example vendors, you can further filter by selecting which vendors you want to filter to. Click Save to save your filters.
Please Note: The search bar in the filters is case sensitive.
- Saved filters will be viewable above your grid view. You can edit your filter by clicking the filter dropdown or remove a filter by clicking the ‘X’ next to the filter.
How do I sort my items?Items can be sorted alphabetically and chronologically.
- Clicking the columns Category, Item Type, Folder, or Name allows you to sort them alphabetically. Reclick to sort in reverse alphabetical order.
Clicking the columns Amount, Date, or Date Added allows you to sort them chronologically. Reclick to sort in reverse chronological order.
How do I combine or separate items?Check out this Help Center Article to learn how to combine and separate your items.
How do I reprocess and reclassify my items?You can reprocess items individually or in batches to change the data parsed in the item fields. This will also allow you to change the item type if desired.
- To begin, select the items you wish to reprocess and click the Reprocess button below the grid.
- In the Reprocess window, you have the option to check the box to Reclassify your item and then select the new item type.
How do move items out of the Needs Review grid?In order to move items out of the Needs Review grid, you simply need to open the item. This allows you to review the item data and make changes as needed. Once viewed, the item's status will change and no longer appear in the Needs Review grid.
Keep in mind that Needs Review is a status for new items that have not been looked at and is not a folder or location within Neat. The Needs Review grid is an easy, convenient way of viewing all items that have not been opened in Neat regardless of which folder they reside in. Once viewed the item will no longer be in Needs Review status. If that item was not already placed in a specific folder, it will appear in the Unfiled section under File Cabinet. You can change an item's location by dragging and dropping it in a folder or right-clicking it and selecting Move.
How do I create a new folder?
- To create a new folder, right-click on the location you want to save the new folder and choose New.