Invoicing Basics in NeatSimplify how you send invoices (and even get paid!). Create and send invoices to your customers using Neat's Invoices feature!
Stay tuned! We have several enhancements coming to NeatInvoices soon!
- Invoicing in the Neat Mobile App - manage your invoices on-the-go!
- Set up reccurring invoices
- Invoices reporting in Neat
- Use a custom email address to send invoices to your customers
- Manage invoicing for multiple businesses in Neat
Check out our frequently asked questions below to learn more about how to use the invoicing feature in Neat.
Invoicing Basics FAQs
- How do I set up invoicing in Neat?
- How do I create an invoice?
- How do I edit my invoice settings?
- How do I add new customers?
- How do I add new products or services?
- How do I manage my invoices using actions?
- How do I sort and filter my invoices?
- How do I send invoices?
- How do I accept payments for my sent invoices?
- Are there any fees associated with collecting invoice payments?
- What is the difference between amount outstanding and amount past due?
- Do my invoices flow through to my accounting reporting?
How do I set up invoicing in Neat?
- Click on Invoicing in the left-hand navigation, then click Complete Setup.
During this setup process you will be defining your invoice settings, such as your company information, invoice numbers, invoice reminders, and terms and conditions.Please Note: You can edit this information at any time from the invoice settings menu.
- Enter your company information. You can import your company's logo and enter your company's address and contact information. This will be the company information that will appear on your invoices. When you're done click Next.
- Next, you will set up your invoice numbering. By default, invoice numbers begin with “1” but you can choose a different starting invoice number that more closely matches your current invoice numbers. When you're done, click Next.
Please Note: Letters are not supported for invoice numbering, only numeric values are supported.
- Invoice reminders are a simple, yet powerful tool that helps you to reduce time and confusion around email communications with your customers! With invoice reminders, once an invoice is sent, Neat will automatically send email reminders to your customers based on your settings.
Set up invoice reminders as desired by checking or unchecking the reminder options. You can change the number of days before or after the due date for the reminder to be sent. You can also add a note to the reminder. When you're done, click Next.
- Lastly, you will have the option to set up your terms and conditions. You can add a URL to terms and conditions you already have set on your company's website, or you can enter custom terms and conditions via the custom text box. When you're done, click Next.
Note: You may skip adding terms and conditions during the setup process but will need to complete it before you send your first invoice.
- Terms & Conditions should outline how quickly you expect payment from your customers, the fees associated when invoices aren't paid promptly, and the different payment methods your business accepts. You can add this at anytime by clicking the gear icon for Invoice Settings.
- When setup is complete, you'll see this congratulatory message! Next, click Create my first invoice to get started.
How do I create an invoice?
- From the Invoices section on the left, make sure Invoices is selected from the section above the Invoice grid which also shows Customers and Products.
- Then click Create New Invoice in the upper left above the invoice grid.
- Use the Select Customer dropdown to choose your customer if one is already created. You can also create a brand new customer from the dropdown as well and input all of their customer information including their email address, phone number, billing address, etc.
- Under Invoice Date you can change the date. By default it will be set to the current date.
- The Terms dropdown allows you to select how soon after the invoice date, the payment is due. It defaults to Due upon receipt. The dropdown allows you to select 15, 30, or 60 days from the invoice date and will automatically update in the Payment Date field. Alternately, you can choose Custom and manually select a Payment Date.
- The +Product/Service allows you to select your existing products or services and you can also create a new Product/Service. See
How do I add new products? to learn how make your products or services available for invoicing.
Upon selecting a product, you can edit the Description, Price, Item Category, and Quantity.
Don't forget to check the Include Tax box if your product or service is taxable. Checking this will add a T after the price in the Amount column, indicating this item will be charged tax.
- If your items are taxable, you can set the tax percentage in the tax dropdown. Click Tax to open the Tax dropdown list. Select an existing tax option or click Add Tax.
- Enter the Tax Name and Tax %.
- Click Save to add your tax. Tax for all items marked as taxable will be totaled in Tax the line below Subtotal.
- To add discounts or fees to your invoice, select the +Discount/Fee button.
- This will open a popup where you can select whether you wish to Add a discount or Add a fee. Adding an Amount is required to continue but the Description is optional.
- Click Save to add your discount or fee.
- The Notes field allows you to add an optional comment.
- When finished, click Save in the upper right. This will save your invoice as a Draft.
To send your invoice to your customer see How do I send invoices?
How do I edit my invoice settings?To edit your invoice settings, locate the Gear icon in the upper right corner of the invoice screen, next to 'Create Invoice'.
Here, you can edit all the fields that you originally set during the initial invoice setup process.
- Under Your Info, you can update your company name, address, contact information, and remove or update your company logo.
- Select Invoice Number to set a new invoice number. This will start with your next invoice. You cannot choose a number lower than your most recent invoice.
- Select Default Reminder Schedule to add, change, or remove any of your invoice reminders.
- Select Terms & Conditions to update your custom text or URL link. You must choose one or the other, not both.
How do I add new customers?
- Click on Customers at the top of the invoice grid.
- Click on Add New Customer to open the new customer fields.
- After entering the customer’s information, click Save to add your customer.
- Repeat to add more customers
- Click on the [...] Action button, then edit to edit your customers.
Please Note: At this time, you cannot delete customers you have created. However, you can mark a customer as Inactive in the edit menu. Inactive customers will still show up in your customer list, but will not show up in your lists while creating invoices.
How do I add new products or services?
- Click on Product above the invoice grid to open the Product view.
- Click on Add New Product to open the new product form.
- After entering all Product information, click Save to store your product.
- Repeat to add more products.
- Click on the [...] Action button, then edit to edit your products or services.
- When finished click Save. Click Reset if you do not wish to save the changes.
How do I manage my invoices using actions?You can view available actions for your invoices by going to the Actions column in the Invoice grid and clicking the [...] Action button. You have the following options:
Allows you to make changes to:
Please Note: Not all invoices can be edited. Invoices marked as Void, Partial Payment, or Paid can no longer be edited.
- Invoice Date
- Payment Date (if set to Custom)
- Edit or Remove Items
- Add a Product, Service, Discount, Fee, or Note
Displays a copy of the invoice as it will appear after it is sent.
Sends the invoice to the email on the customer's profile. (Not available in Void invoices.)
- Mark as Sent
Changes the invoice status from draft to sent. This cannot not be reversed.Please Note: Only invoices in Draft stats can be marked as sent.
Opens a PDF copy of the invoice that can be printed and mailed.
Changes the invoice status to void and cannot be undone. Voided invoices only have actions available for View, Print/Export, and Duplicate. (Not available in Partial Payment, Paid, or Void invoices.)
Creates a copy of the invoice in Draft status.
- Record a Payment
Allows you to record a payment on the invoice. Selectable payment types include Cash, Bank/ACH, Check, Credit Card, and Other. You can also enter a Description, Payment Date, Payment Amount, and Notes. The Payment Date must be either the current date or a past date but cannot be a future date. This will change the invoice status to Paid or Partial Payment depending on the amount paid.Please Note: Record a Payment is ONLY available for Sent invoices, not drafted or voided invoices.
How do I sort and filter my invoices?
SortingYou can sort the order of your invoices by Due date, Invoice number, and by Invoice date. Click directly on one of these column headings to change the sorting order of your invoices.
FilteringYou can filter your invoices by Invoice status, Invoice date, Customer and Invoice number.
Invoice StatusWhen filtering your invoices by Invoice status, you can select from draft, sent, partial payment, paid, past due and void.
Invoice DateWhen filtering your invoices by Invoice Date, you can select a wide range of dates from when you first started using the invoicing feature.
CustomerWhen filtering your invoices by Customer, you will be able to select from all of the customers you have saved.
Invoice NumberSearch for a specific Invoice Number.
How do I send invoices?
- Open your invoices.
- Find the invoice you wish to send from the list of invoices.
- Click the [...] Action button then, click Send.
- Ensure the Email Addresses field is correct.
- Add an optional Email Message if desired. The subject cannot be edited.
- When finished, click Send to deliver your invoice.
How do I accept payments for my sent invoices?Neat allows you to accept all types of payments for your invoices in Neat. Take advantage of online payments and accept credit card and bank payments directly through your Neat invoices. Manually mark your invoices as partially paid or paid when your customers use another payment method like check or cash.
For more details on accepting credit card and bank ACH payments with online payments, please check out this detailed Help Center article.
Types of Payments Accepted in Neat
- American Express
- Bank ACH
- Check (Manual Entry)
- Cash (Manual Entry)
Manually recording a payment
- Find a Sent, Partially Paid, or Past Due invoice you need to record a payment for. Click the [...] Action button.
- Click Record a Payment.
- In the Record a Payment modal, enter details about your payment. Select your payment method from the payment method dropdown, enter a description, a payment date, payment amount, and notes.
- When you're done, click Save.
- Your invoices status will update to reflect if the invoice was paid partially or in full. The invoice's outstanding balance will also update to reflect any amount paid toward the invoice.
- To manage your invoice payments or add another payment, locate the invoice that needs to be updated and click the [...] Action button.
- In the Record a Payment modal, you can edit or update previous payments and if the invoice is in Partial Payment status then you can also add more payments to your invoice.
- Once the invoice is paid in full, the invoice status will update to paid and the outstanding balance will update to reflect a zero dollar balance.