Assets and Liabilities in Neat
Assets and Liabilities FAQs
- How do I create Asset and Liability accounts?
- What Asset and Liability categories are available?
- How do I set Asset and Liability categories?
How do I create Asset and Liability accounts?Please follow the steps below to create an Asset and Liability account in Neat.
- Select Accounts / Transactions from the left-hand menu.
- Choose Add Account at the bottom right.
- Select Create an Asset or Liability Account from the pop up window.
- You will then choose a type of Asset or Liability. There are multiple types to choose from including:
- Equipment and Property which can be furniture, office equipment, vehicles or property that the business owns or leases for an extended period of time.
- Payables which is money owed by the business that is a short term debt or purchased on credit.
- Other Asset which is Current, Fixed or other assets that the business owns, but are not equipment and property or cash.
- Other Liability which is money owned by the business that is fixed or long term debt.
- Enter in details about your asset or liability and click Save
- Once saved, your new asset or liability account will be added to the Active Accounts list in Accounts / Transactions.
What Asset and Liability categories are available?You can view the available Asset and Liability categories in Your Categories by clicking your name in the top right and choosing My Categories.
Assets have the following subcategories available:
- Bank - Accounts connected via Transactions will be available.
- Cash - If you've created a Cash on Hand account it will be available.
- Equipment & Property - This will appear once created in the Transactions section.
- Other Asset - This will appear once created in the Transactions section.
Liabilities have the following subcategories available:
- Credit Card - Accounts connected via Transactions will be available.
- Payables - Accounts connected via Transactions will be available.
- Loan - This will appear once created in the Transactions section.
- Other Liability - This will appear once created in the Transactions section.
How do I set Asset and Liability categories?To categorize your items as Assets or Liabilities:
- In Accounts / Transactions, open the item you wish to set as an Asset or Liability.
- Click on the Category and choose an Asset or Liability category. (Equipment & Property, Other Asset, Payable, Other Liability).
- Then choose the appropriate account. If you have no account listed or wish to create a new account, select Add/Edit Category.
- Enter the Account Name and Opening Value. Adjust the Balance Date as desired. Click Save to create the category. It will now be available to choose as your category and will also appear in your My Categories section.