In the event of a driver installation failing with an “ended prematurely” message, you will need to collect the appropriate install log from the Setup directory:
C:\Program Files (x86 if a 64-bit system)\Common Files\The Neat Company\Neat\Setup
Open the install log for the failing scanner and search for “Warning”. Below that, you’ll see:
Could not open file C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\neatadfscanner.inf_amd64_b56bd3a7d48151c8neatadfscanner.inf. (Error code 0x3: The system cannot find the path specified.)
DIFXAPP: ERROR: PnP Install failed. (Error code 0x3EE: The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid.)
- Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository
- Look for the folder listed in the error log (in this example: neatadfscanner.inf_amd64_b56bd3a7d48151c8) and if it does not exist, create it a folder with that name.
- Once the folder is created, download the appropriate zip below based on your scanner model number and copy the contents from the .zip file to the folder you just created.
- Browse to
- 64 bit PC: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\The Neat Company\Neat\Setup
- 32 bit PC: C:\Program Files\Common Files\The Neat Company\Neat\Setup
- Double-click the appropriate driver file to run the driver.msi setup once again. The installation should be able to complete successfully.
- NC-1000 – NeatConnect Scanner Driver.msi or NeatConnect Scanner 64 Driver.msi
- ND-1000 – Neat ADF Scanner Driver.msi or Neat ADF Scanner 64 Driver.msi
- NM-1000 – Neat Mobile Scanner Driver.msi or Neat Mobile Scanner 64 Driver.msi
- ADF-070108 – Neat ADF Scanner 2008 Driver.msi or Neat ADF Scanner 2008 64 Driver.msi
- if this driver is not listed you can download it here.