Creating a backup of your database is a good idea to provide peace of mind that your information is secure. This backup must be restored into Neat to view the files contained within it.
While creating a backup is not mandatory, we strongly recommend creating one before proceeding with the migration process.
- Click the Tools menu, and choose Database. From this menu, select Offline Backup and the Database Backup box will open.
- In this window, press Browse to select a save location for your backup.
Neat Tip: Due to the processes involved in backing up, we do not recommend creating the backup directly to any external hard drives, network drives, or cloud locations, like Dropbox, Google Drive and Onedrive. Once the backup finishes, it can be moved to the external drive, but to ensure the successful creation, create the backup to a location on your C: drive before moving it.
- After choosing your backup location, press the Backup button to start the backup process.
Whenever you create a new backup file, Neat creates a backup of your entire database with this extension: .nbak. Because Neat backs up your entire database, you can delete older backups. However, we suggest that you save one or two previous backups just to be safe.
If you experience any issues while creating your backup, please try our alternative backup steps below.
Alternatively, you can backup your database by creating a copy of the database folder stored on your computer.
- Quit Neat.
- Browse to your Neat Data folder, by default located in the Documents folder.
- Right click on the Neat Data folder and choose Copy.
- Browse to the location you want to store your backup, right-click, and select Paste.
**If after backing up your software, you have any other issues, please click on the link below.**
Error Backing Up Database
When you are done creating your backup file, click here to get back to the migration resource center.